Lake District Activities
Links to activities in Keswick & nearby Lake District
The town of Keswick is the ideal base for exploring the Lake District. The George Hotel is in the centre of Keswick; where there are many cafes & bars where you can sit and watch the world go by, or indulge in a bit of retail therapy in the abundance of outdoor shops.
The George Hotel is also just a comfortable ten-minute walk to the Lake “Derwentwater” and the” Theatre by the Lake.”
If you are planning a break in Keswick and are not sure what’s available in the area, then we have listed below some activities and trips that are available. There are things to suit all tastes, many within easy reach either by car on foot or on many of the trips organized in the area, some of which will collect you from Hotel:
The Highfield – Keswick’s only 3 Star Silver Award hotel offering fantastic views and unique, beautifully designed rooms.
- Keswick Launch – cruise or hire a Boat to explore Derwentwater.
- Theatre by The Lake – Check what’s on.
- Honister Slate Mine – Award winning slate mine tour
- Trotters World of Animals, Bassenthwaite – hundreds of friendly animals
Sports & Outdoors
- Keswick Golf Club – Stunning 18 hole golf course
- Appleby Golf Course – Superb moorland course which is excellent in all weather
- Keswick Mountain Bikes – Bike Hire
- Fly Fishing, Hawkshead – “The most renowned fishing lake in the north”
- Rookin House Equestrian & Activity Centre in Troutbeck
- Derwentwater Marina, Portinscale – water sports tuition, boat hire & windsurfing
- Nichol End Marine, Portinscale – great outdoor experiences on water & fell
- Glaramara – Outdoor centre in Borrowdale
Tours and Travel
- Eric’s Taxis – Guided minibus tours around the Lakes
- KLM Travel – Experience the scenery of the Lake District
Places of Interest
- Dove Cottage, Grasmere – William Wordsworth’s home
- Rydal Mount & Gardens, near Ambleside
- Holker Hall, Gardens & Lakeland Motor Museum, plus the Campbell Bluebird Exhibition
- Hill Top, near Sawyer – former home of Beatrix Potter
- The World of Beatrix Potter Gallery, Bowness
- Abbot Hall – One of Britain’s finest independent galleries
- Mirehouse – stately house and lovely gardens